Sunday, August 7, 2011

The sea life is the sweet life...

The past four days at sea have gone by so fast; it sucks. C15 was a mess because everyone was having exams over the next couple of days. It was like finals week all over again-- everyone was up at all hours in the piano lounge and classrooms, guzzling coffee and studying like their lives depended on it. Everyone was flipping out about Global Studies and frantically writing multiple FDP papers. I had only one due, so I was mostly writing that and studying when I had time. My computer ended up pooping out on me twice and deleting my NEARLY FINISHED paper. Not once, but TWICE!!! I was so mad… I nearly took it as a sign and didn’t finish it! But I did.

Then, when the test day came the next day, I finished Global Studies in 5 minutes, no joke. I checked my answers like 15 times just so I wouldn’t be the first person done hahah. So that was easy. Nikki and I studied for our geohazards exam about 30 minutes before the actual class started… we are suchhhhh good students. But that was pretty easy too. I ended up with 2 100s, so yay! Hopefully I don’t flunk too badly when I get back to real life school… During lunch that day, apparently a submarine was right next to us and a helicopter was circling us (odd.), but I was off doing something and didn’t see them :( Sad day.

Then, after everyone’s tests that day, we had the auction! It was a pretty big deal, they have been pressuring us all summer to donate something- donate your house for someone’s vacation, a boat ride, suitcase packing. So it was a pretty big deal when the day finally came. There was a silent auction all day of boring stuff, like “dean for a day” or a workout lesson, but the real deal was the one at night. Karyn and Geoff, basically my idols for life in general, were the auctioneers, so we all knew it would be hilarious. And they did not disappoint. They were auctioning off the entire collection of pictures and videos from the voyage and made the photographers take their shirts off! So funny, because they are both old as anything. They auctioned off some pretty cool things, like a place to stay in China or Nova Scotia or a chance to blow the horn when we get to Boston for outrageous prices… I’m talking like $2,000!! Miranda, Nikki, Kellie, and I were gonna bid on dinner for four aboard the MS The World with Karyn and Geoff (look it up, I will own an apartment on that thing someday! Basically it’s SAS for adults!) and our max was like $150/person, but that thing sold for like $650/person!!! Nuts. I think it was the big seller that day.

So then C17 was the Talent Show. I was expecting risqué raunchy stuff, since you know… we’re in college. But everyone was surprisingly clean for the ship kids. The kids went first and did some pretty amazing stuff. Nate, the resident dancer, is like 9. His troupe of boys break-danced while he sang JBiebs “Never Say Never.” It was SO ADORABLE. I just about died they were so cute. Then, a little boy played the guitar and was pretty phenomenal. But, right after him, the little 10 year old boy played the piano…. And wow. He was definitely better than Nancy, who won 2nd place playing the piano. They were so good! So basically in the show there were a bunch of singers, musicians, poetry slammers, a stand up, and dancers. The dancers were probably the best- hula and belly dancing. The belly dancing was pretty dang awesome (she won 1st obv). It was a dang good night, but it’s sad to think that all this is almost over…. But let’s not talk about that!

Today was pretty strange because we were refueling back in the Straits of Gibraltar! We are sitting ducks for a while… and it was really cold and windy! When we laid outside today, I just about put my jacket on! Now we are traveling along the coast of Morocco and are set to be in Casablanca tomorrow morning!!!! I think having 5 days between ports makes you exceedingly more excited to be on land… except this port is bittersweet because it is the last one. We just got our seats and drink vouchers for the Alumni Ball on the way back to the states and it makes me want to cry. It’s weird to think of going back to real people school, not walking till my calves explode, and cooking my own food…. Can’t I just stay on this thing until I graduate?! What a life this is. I never want to leave :(



Momma, can’t I just hop on the fall ’11 voyage?

No comments:

Post a Comment