Tuesday, May 24, 2011

T-Minus 21 days...

I'm about to start freaking, no joke. Only 3 weeks until I have the greatest adventure of my life! I feel like there is still so much to do and not enough time to do it! I literally just got back from a weeklong community service project with A&M in South Texas and now I have less than 3 weeks to prepare. Throw in my cousin coming to visit on Friday, my best friend from California coming in less than a week, and my other best friend from Sweden coming on the 1st, this is gonna get wild.

For those of you unfamiliar with Semester at Sea, it is a study abroad opportunity that is the best of both worlds. Basically, you get on a massive cruise ship with 700 other students, lifelong learners (basically old people who take the classes for fun and not credit), and professors and take classes for college credit. The best thing about it is that we are visiting 8 countries- the Bahamas, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Morocco. Even better is that we get to do whatever we want in each country instead of following a tour guide around. We only take classes when we are at sea so we can get the full experience of the countries we visit. We do a few tours through SAS only because they are required for our classes. For example, for my Geohazards class, I have to visit Pompeii with our professor and write a paper on the experience and the geology of the area. Pretty sweet huh?! Besides the ones required for the classes, I am also doing tours through SAS that I couldn't do by myself; for example an Italian cooking class, a Croatian folk show, and a visit to a Bulgarian village. Everything else I am planning while at sea with my new friends!!

I really hope I have the time to update this with photos and memories, but I cannot promise much. We have limited internet while on the ship (to go over= BIG BUCK$!) and I doubt I'll wanna waste precious time in Turkey sitting in an internet cafe... so just don't expect much. I will be writing in a journal for sure and sending postcards though!

Anyways, until next time:)




“We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment