Friday, May 27, 2011

To do's:

Cause I am a massive planner/ listmaker, over the past few months I've holed up in Barnes and Nobles and used their travel section for free (yes, I am a freeloader too haha). So I've come up with a general idea of what I would like to see in a few of the countries.

Spain: 

  • La Sagrada Familia: unfinished cathedral



  • Las Ramblas: a market strip that is apparently stellar at night
  • Montserrat: a cool monastery
  • Flamenco shows
  • Wine tasting
  • Barceloneta: Barcelona's fishing town that most tourists don't visit
  • Bullfighting: I don't think it's in season, but I would totally wanna go even though I would most likely bawl throughout the entire thing
  • A soccer game

Italy:

  • Mt. Vesuvius: I'm hiking this with my geology class!
  • Naples pizza!
  • Pompeii (obviously)
  • Normal Rome highlights: Vatican, The Coliseum, Forum, Catacombs, ect.


  • Explore cities outside of Rome
  • I'm taking a cooking class in a village! So excited.
  • I would like to hike Cinque Terre, which is a 5 village seaside hike in northern Italy, but I may not have time :(
Croatia:
  • A day trip with my Anthropology class to Medugorje in Montenegro.
  • Hike the lakes and waterfalls of Plitvice

  • Explore Dubrovnik
  • Korcula
Bulgaria:
Since this one is the most recent change to our schedule (Egypt...), I haven't had much time to research it. I have signed up for a Bulgarian Village visit, but that is it. I heard REAL gypsies are there, so maybe visit a few of those? We shall see.

Greece:
  • Mykonos: plane and hotel are booked with people I have only met on facebook! YUSSS

  • Athens: the norm (Acropolis, Hadrian's Arch, Hephaistion, Kerameikos cemetery, Tower of the Winds, ect)
  • Meteora: I would like, but I don't believe there will be time.
  • Olympia: same as above :(
  • WATCH HARRY POTTER! (with greek subtitles)

Turkey:
  • Ephesus (roman ruins)/ Cappadocia (houses carved from natural rock formations): tour is booked with, again, people I have never met. Sweet.
  • Grand Bazaar: huge market in Istanbul
  • Hamams: a Turkish bath where they scrub you and make you feel amazing. So excited.
  • See a dervish whirl performance
  • Olympos: jungle-y ruins next to a beautiful beach (no tourists)
  • Mt. Nemrut: carved heads of old kings that are thousands of years old. But, it is on the complete opposite side of the country (next to Iraq and Iran and such!) so I won't be going :(
  • Eat kokorec: street food of lamb intestines on a sandwich, yummm.
  • Blue Mosque
  • Hippodrome
  • Lycean rock tombs
  • Hookah
Morocco:
Nothing is planned officially, since hopefully I will have friends to hang out with at this point. But a few ideas...
  • Stay in Marrakesh a few days. They have better markets than Istanbul and are cheaper too!
  • Visit a few mosques
  • Ride a camel?
  • Travel to Fes
  • See a snake charmer
  • Get a tattoo? Haha mother.
  • Hang out, relax, and enjoy the culture



Now, besides the ones I have paid for or put a deposit down, all my ideas will change. I won't see everything on this list and will see things I don't have on it. My goal is to be flexible and go with the flow; I don't want to be rushing, rushing, rushing everywhere when I am in these countries. I want to see more than the inside of a train for 4 hours in order to see 1 hour worth of country. No thanks. I would rather be immersed in a culture at the same city and see a few historic things than spend my time surrounded by other tourists pushing and shoving to get that perfect shot of some old rock and traveling 24/7. I like old stuff, but when I have only 4-7 days in each country, I would rather see culture than ancient stuff that will still be there in another 20 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment